04 June 2009

Summer is here


We've had unseasonable weather for the last several weeks. Our evening low temperatures are the usual daytime highs! We haven't had rain in several weeks. The gardens are looking great! We even have a tomato already. The corn will probably be knee-high by next week, instead of by the 4th of July. Usually, we are hoping not to be losing the garden. Last year, we celebrated June-uary. Today if felt like August, at 90 degrees! I created coldframes for the vegetable gardens so we could extend our growing season. I am sure that is why the weather has been so nice: It's like washing your car will ensure that it rains!


During the cold spell and snow of the winter, we lost several plants - a lovely ceanothus hedge, honeysuckle, euphorbia, buddleia . . . the things you can't kill. Well, the ceanothus is sprouting, as is the honeysuckle. I've removed all the dead wood on the ceanothus, and hopefully it will come back. No loss on the buddleia, which is still dead as a doornail.
I have been marking all of the perennials to remind me of the color and bloom time. I am still finding plants that need to be moved so the colors are just so.
We had one area of the garden that had been quite neglected, with a dead tree, a dying tree, bedraggled bushes, weeds . . . it had to mean something. So, I checked my feng shui guides. Turns out, this neglected area aligned with the wealth and financial sector. Greg moved the clean-up of this area to the top of the priority list. I believe it worked. In the days following the cleanup, I had 3 credible job opportunities, after months of nothing!

We've been spending lots of time in the garden. Sara has been playing in the 'sprinkles'. It's hard to send her to bed at a reasonable hour when it is still light until 9:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment